A few of the Charlotte potatoes from this year’s harvest had spurted so I have put them in a pot in the lean to. To be continued……. Apart from tidying up and laying compost on the empty beds there is not much to report from the plot so I thought a picture of our grandaughter Libbie enjoying the Autumn leaves would brighten up the weblog.
Monthly Archive: October 2007
Last night I cut up and roasted the first half of the butternut squash and we really enjoyed it. I was surprised to find that there were no seeds inside but was very pleased that we had found something new that we could grow again and enjoy eating. I understand that you can make a nice soup out of them too and look forward to trying that when we have enough which will probably be this time next year. Only one plant survived this year and only two fruit on that. We cut the last pumpkin today and kept it ourselves having given the other two away. We also cut the other butternut squash and a decent cabbage. I managed yet again to pick enough runner beans for a meal. Rob sowed the last of this year’s broad bean seeds over on plot 18.
I’m not sure if there is a collective noun for Whitefly but I think a blizzard would be the perfect one. We had decided to have two hours at the plots and we both had our jobs planned. Mine was to clear the flower bed and collect seeds from the Lupins then to collect seeds from the Sweet Peas. Rob’s was to empty the greenhouse. As we had finished with a half hour to spare I had the bright idea of giving the time to the sprout bed which needed the yellow leaves removing and the plants watering with soapy water. Big mistake! As soon as we started a cloud of Whitefly rose into the air and in no time the air was thick with them. We made a quick exit, running for the car followed closely behind by the nasties. We jumped in the car and slammed the doors shut still swatting them away. I fully expected to see Alfred Hitchcock peeping round the hedge.
Roy makes a start on the pumpkin.
Today we put the rhubarb to bed for the Winter. I put a layer of chicken poo on to the bed then covered it with straw and anchored it down with netting. The strawberries in the fruit cage have thrown out loads of runners and one of the tasks I set for myself today was to transplant some of them over onto the old bean trench on plot 18. I only took the runners that had escaped from the fruit cage on to the surrounding paths and managed to put in about sixty new plants as well as giving about thirty to a new plot holder. I still have some to dig out of the path before I go into the cage itself.
Rob has now dug up the whole of the carrot crop as I read somewhere that they could be spoiled by frost. We are very pleased with the harvest as our first efforts bore little resemblance to carrots as we know them. We still have lots of work to do and never seem to have enough time. We came home after two hours with backache, a cabbage, a couple of decent parsnips and three buckets of carrots. Time for tea I think.
Rob has finally finished the heartbreaking task of digging over the potato beds on plot 18. I suppose I shall have to start buying potatoes from Sainsburys again. Blooming Blight! Never mind. The plot looks very tidy and we are planning to put a few loads of horse muck on the beds ready for next year. We cut the one big pumpkin and delivered it to our nephew, Matthew, who had asked us to grow one for him for Halloween. I harvested the remaining few beetroot and pickled them. I picked a few nice runner beans again but I feel this may be the last of them. I have left some bigger ones on for seed. Also brought back two lovely pointed cabbages, one for us and one for Roy and Janice. The carrots and parsnips are doing well and we have decided that next year we shall sow the seeds then count the days and harvest at the recommended time rather than letting them get too big. We bought some onion sets today from Focus, one Radar yellow, one Electric Red and one bag of white Snowball. We plan to put them over on plot 18.