Today we put the rhubarb to bed for the Winter. I put a layer of chicken poo on to the bed then covered it with straw and anchored it down with netting. The strawberries in the fruit cage have thrown out loads of runners and one of the tasks I set for myself today was to transplant some of them over onto the old bean trench on plot 18. I only took the runners that had escaped from the fruit cage on to the surrounding paths and managed to put in about sixty new plants as well as giving about thirty to a new plot holder. I still have some to dig out of the path before I go into the cage itself.
Rob has now dug up the whole of the carrot crop as I read somewhere that they could be spoiled by frost. We are very pleased with the harvest as our first efforts bore little resemblance to carrots as we know them. We still have lots of work to do and never seem to have enough time. We came home after two hours with backache, a cabbage, a couple of decent parsnips and three buckets of carrots. Time for tea I think.